The Verse of Tatheer and the contradictory views of the Ahle Sunnah scholars ( Part II) – The Second Group
Contradictory to the view of Tahaawi and the Shia view, Ikramah and Maqaatil claim that the verse of Tatheer is regarding the wives of the prophet (s.a.w.a.).
Do Ahle Bait mean wives? Despite knowing that this verse was revealed for the holy progeny of the Prophet (s.a.w.a) he has been against this view. It is famous about Ikramah that he would propagate in the market that this verse was revealed for the wives of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.).
[Tafseer-al-Tabari vol 10 pg 298 trad 28,503; Tafseer-al-Kabir vol 3 pg 465; Asbaab al-Nuzool pg 198]
He would go around saying, “I will invoke curse for anyone who opposes me as I know that this verse was revealed regarding the wives of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.).”
(Al-Durr al-Manthoor vol 6 pg 603; Tafseer of Ibne Katheer vol 3 pg 465)
Ikramah was against the view that this verse was revealed regarding the holy progeny of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.). He would go about telling the Muslims that what they believe is not right and that this verse was revealed for the wives of the Prophet (s.a.w.a.).
[Al-Durr al-Manthoor vol 6 pg 603]
This view of Ikramah is not correct but Sibt b. Jauzi and Zahabi have supported his view. This is not surprising as those bearing malice against the Ahle Bait (a.s.) are expected to do this.
A Brief Account of Ikramah’s Life
- Ikramah the Berber was one of the famous atheists. The Berbers are an ethnic group indigenous to North Africa. He was famous for fabricating false traditions in order to create discord and doubt in Islam. Here we bring a brief account of his life from reliable books. For more details about his life one can refer: Al-Tabaqaat al-Kubra vol 5 pg 129 by Muhammad b. Saad Basri
- Wafaayat al-Aa’yaan vol 3 pg 265 by Muhammad b. Khallikaan
- Meezaan al-Etedaal vol 5 pg 116 by Shams al-Deen al-Zahabi
- Creating doubts in religion
- It is narrated that Ikramah created doubts in Islam and ridiculed religion and he is infamous as a deviated person and an enemy of Islam.
- According to him, Allah revealed ambiguous verses in the Quran in order to deviate the people.
- During the season of Hajj, he sometimes said that I wish I has a spear with which I would attack the pilgrims from the right and the left.
- He would stand at the gate of Masjid al-Nabawi and said there are a few apostates in this mosque.
- It is famous that he did no pray, wore a golden ring and was fond of music.
- He was a supporter of the Kharijis
The people of Africa took the belief of the Kharijis from Ikramah. It is famous that he falsely attributed this belief to Ibne Abbas. Yahya b. Mueen says that Malik has not quoted Ikramah as he has accepted the belief of the Kharijis. Zahabi says that people condemned Ikramah due to his Khariji beliefs.
III. He was a liar
He attributed his lies to Ibne Abbas. It is for this reason that Ali b. Abdullah b. Abbas locked him in his toilet. When it was asked to Ali b. Abdullah b. Abbas why he treated Ikramah like a slave, he replied that he attributes lies to my father.
- It is narrated that Saad b. Musayyab said to his slave, “I hope you will not attribute false things to me just as Ikramah attributes false things to Ibne Abbas”.
- It is also narrated from Ibne Umar that he said to his slave, “O Naafe, beware and adopt piety, and do not attribute lies to me just as Ikramah attributes lies to Ibne Abbas.”
- Qasim, Sayyadain, Yahya and Malik have unanimously concluded that Ikramah was an infamous liar to the extent that Malik has prohibited narrating traditions from Ikramah.
- It is narrated from Ibn Abi Zaeb that Ikramah is not reliable. Muslim b. Hajjaj has also sought to distance himself from him and Muhammad b. Saad says about him that his narrations cannot be relied upon.
- People abandoned his funeral
Due to Ikramah’s abovementioned failings, Muslims abandoned his funeral. No one came forward to take his dead body and it was finally buried with the help of four Sudanese slaves.
- The issues related to Ikramah, who was an enemy of the Ahle Bait (a.s.) have been mentioned in the above-mentioned books. Those who defend and support him should refer to the above books. One should use the time given in this world to convert misfortune to good fortune.